As the harsh winter season is coming the concern of the dog owners about their dog is getting high. It’s because winter is such a season when they are actually prone to many types of winter health problems.
But the day of anxiety is over because along with the winter health problems of dogs there are many tips and tricks to avoid the diseases and also the remedy of them.
Today I am going to discuss about some of the winter health problems of dogs and what you have to do when you notice one of these in your little pooch. Okay, let’s see what the tricks are.
Major Winter Health Problems of Dogs: Sometimes we forget that our little friends also need proper shelter in winter as we need because they normally stay outside.
But you have to take special care of him in this season to avoid winter health problems of dogs. I am telling you about some of the major winter health problems and their remedy.
- Frostbite: The less common but the first winter health problem is frostbite which is actually occur when dog’s body gets so cold. They actually get warm from their paws, ears and tail but if they get icy cold then the boy collect all the blood from the whole body and gather it in the center of his body to keep warm which really damages the tissue. So, when you will notice that your little puppy is under attack of frostbite immediately take him to a warm place and soak him with warm water for 20 minutes. It’ll restore and normal his blood circulation.
- Hypothermia: Another concern of the winter season is hypothermia and it occurs when your little puppy spends a lot of time outside in the snowy weather with a poor health. They will show the signs of weakness, depression and lethargy. His heart beat and breathing rate will slow down. If you see any of the symbols wrap him in a blanket and take to a veterinarian who can normal his heart beat and breathing rate.
- Winter Allergies: It is another serious winter health problems of dogs. It basically occurs if he spends more time inside rather than outside. Because in winter season houses always kept lock and fresh cannot come inside. And if he doesn’t expose himself in the fresh air winter allergy will genuinely occur. There are many symptoms of winter allergy. His face and ear will turn red with a heavy hair loss and will spread a bad odor. His skin will turn into red with crusts and scales on it. You will see redness and inflammation on his feet. The fur coats will discolor and develop with bald spots. If you see any of the symptoms you have to treat him properly. For this you can use biotin, color therapy or steroids. It has no toxic chemicals and no side effects. But you really need to use them correctly.
- Dehydration: Dehydration may occur if your dog’s water stay outside and it freezes. If you don’t give him fresh water he will suffer from dehydration. So in winter you have to always give him fresh warm water to avoid winter health problems.
Holiday Plants can be Harmful for him: I know now you are thinking that how a plant can cause health problems to dog! Don’t be shocked because I am going to tell you which plants are harmful and why and what you have to do for this.
- Poinsettia: It is the most common plants which are used on the Christmas Eve. But if you have a puppy then you have to take another step. You will have to use the artificial version of the Poinsettia tree instead of the real one. Because the natural one produces an irritating milky sap which is harmful when swallowed.
- Lilies: This is another types of plants which can cause harm to your little pooch. Lilies actually cause irreversible kidney damage which is deadly for him.
- Mistletoe: It’s really a wonderful tree and under the Mistletoe tree you also want to kiss your lover but keep your dog away from it. Because within hours of ingestion it causes vomiting, diarrhea, shock and death to him.
- Holly: The leaves and berries of the Holly plants are really very harmful for your dog if swallowed and it also causes vomiting, diarrhea and nausea.So always keep your little puppy away from these trees. Otherwise, a tree can take your puppy’s life within a moment.
You need to be cautious about giving food to him: In winter season you need to be very careful about food which you are giving to your puppy because every food is not perfect for every season. You have to choose season wise foods to avoid winter heath problems.
Wrong selection of foods can be hazardous for your dogs.
They will fell ill. There are some foods which you should not give him at all because it is such injurious to his health in winter that it can cause even death. Let’s see what the foods are which cause winter health problems.
- Coffee: You should not even think of giving coffee to your dog because it carries a lot of caffeine which is really very harmful to his health. Because it works totally differently in a dog’s body than a human body. It causes diarrhea, seizures, slows down heart rate and even death.
- Chocolate: It is exactly similar to coffee because chocolate also carries caffeine. Though all types are chocolate are hazardous but home baked chocolate are mostly injurious than the ready-made chocolates. It also can cause death.
- Macadamia Nuts: These nuts are found in tasty cookies. So before buying cookies check it carefully. Because it causes tremors, vomiting and muscle weakness.
Finally, you need to follow some tips on winter health problems of dogs. You will have to give an extra care to him.
Keep him always under supervision. Don’t keep him outside for a long time. But if you have to keep him outside with you for a long time then prepare him properly with warm clothes, warm foods and don’t get him cold at all.
You have to wear him such clothes so that his ears and paws cover because they mainly get warm from their ears, paws and tail.
Even don’t keep him inside for a long time. Sometimes go outside with him and walk sometime in the fresh air. Winter is really a beautiful time of the year but it can be dangerous for your dog for your own mistakes.
But don’t worry these tips can keep you and your little friend free from all the winter health problems. Hope you will pass a nice time this winter season with your little fury friend.